23.4K views

I purchased a Duralast battery from Auto Zone and started having problems with it very quickly. The first time I encountered a problem, I called AAA.

They tested the battery and told me it was bad. They offered to sell me a battery but told me that it didn't appear to be very old and suggested that I take it back to Auto Zone. I did and Auto Zone told me it was a good battery but they charged it. The battery worked for a while longer then I recently had another problem with it.

A mechanic tested it and AGAIN told me it was a bad battery. A friend jumped my car and I took it into Auto Zone and AGAIN they told me that it was a good battery but also said that it was still under warranty. Then my car wouldn't start AGAIN so I towed it to a automotive shop. They ALSO told me that it was a bad battery that wasn't holding a charge.

Before I brought the battery to Auto Zone, I called to talk to a manager because I didn't want to go through the hassle to AGAIN be told that my bad battery was SOMEHOW testing as good although several others tested it and found the contrary. I spoke to Braden, who told me that he couldn't find me in the system so they couldn't honor a battery warranty. I was EXTREMELY upset since it is Auto Zone's brand of battery and it seems highly unlikely to me that someone would have incorrectly entered my name, phone number and zip code. The manager referred me to the district manager, Jorge, who indicated that they wouldn't do anything to help me but offered me 20% off.

Given that Auto Zone repeatedly wouldn't replace their battery that wasn't keeping a charge and now coincidentally can't find me in the system, it is obvious to me that I have been bamboozled and that Auto Zone never had any intention of honoring their warranty. Auto Zone escaped their responsibility and I had to purchase a new battery.

It's evident that Auto Zone has found that it is cheaper to do business in a way where they dodge their responsibilities and push the cost onto their customers.

Comments

I am having the same problems too! One major problem, the battery was bought by my ex and I am not able to figure out the phone number, so I called the store and was quickly halted because I didn't have a number.

How can I determine the date on battery if sticker has faded? What is the etched number?

All comments and/ or suggestions welcomed! Thank you!

I had a Duralast gold junk battery in my truck, that my wife had to buy while I was out of town in 2012. Well in 2015 while it was still barely under warranty, you guessed it the battery died.

I got it replaced free of charge and they sent me on my way. Well you can imagine.... Yes, just this last Friday, two months under the warranty time, it failed again... It was starting to do the slow cranking thing.

I charged on 2 amp charge overnight, which was about 6-8 hours, and the next morning it only showed 75% charged. So the next day after work, after getting stranded at another auto parts store and having to get a jump, I took it in. Yep, they refused to honor the warranty on the replacement battery, and was told the warranty was only good from the date of the first purchase, which was 2012, so long out of warranty. Autozone batteries are substandard junk, and I will never buy another.

I have owned this truck for 18 years, and it has always lasted 4 years on any other brand of battery. The alternator is charging at 14.1 volts, so no it is not a problem with the alternator. Their batteries are designed to make it only to the amount of warranty, and that's it.

Sometimes they lose and have to replace them, and sometimes they make it a few months out of the warranty, and they win. Either way they only have to replace them once, because they fall back on the original purchase date thing, regardless of the date on the battery.

I replaced my battery last December under free replacement warranty,now the battery is not holding a charge anymore.Went to AutoZone to get it replaced again, but they told me I have to pay about150 dollars because I already replaced it a few months ago! That sucks!It should be under the 3 years warranty,because is a different battery!

to Enrique #1490620

The warranty does not start over when swapped out under warranty... it continues on till expiration. If damaged out during the prorated period, your NEW purchase obviously has a new warranty start date.

Not one word about the alternator.

Wow! Now I know I'm not crazy!

The exact same thing happened to me and now I am stuck with a battery that w ont start my car... did the same thing, took it back and was told it was good but then I stayed having the same issue. Since this seems to be an issue with them, and I am in the market for the battery-- again- same battery, I will go elsewhere. BUYER BEWARE WITH AUTOZONE.

SCREW THEIR "FEELINGS"..

this is about folks hard earned money and clearly we are being sold faulty products and illegally disregarded warranties. Who the *** cares how you feel when you can't even be honest.

I'm a little late on this, but I thought I might chime in for anyone else reading. I was a manager for AutoZone for 3 years while I was in college, and there are a few reasons why this happened.

The first reason is that you don't remember the phone number you bought it under, or the number was entered incorrectly. The second reason is that your warranty expired. You didn't mention what brand battery you had, but valuecraft batteries are about $100, the cost you mentioned, and they only have a 3-month warranty. For $30 more you get a 2-year warranty.

That's still not a fair price if you ask me, rural king is cheaper and their warranties are the same. Even if this happens, there's maybe a 1 in 100,000 chance that the AutoZoner got your number wrong, AND your name wrong, AND your zip code wrong, but your warranty expired regardless, that's why you weren't in the system (possibly the only thing you purchased with a warranty with that number?) when they search by name, The search engines in their systems don't look for exact names as typed, the engine looks for any name remotely similar. Also, there is an extremely high rate of theft going on by the customers, so when they couldn't find you in the system, they probably assumed that you were just another *** trying to get free stuff. If it were me handling the situation, I would've comped you a free battery after the 2nd issue just because it upsets me how they don't make the batteries as good as they used to and the prices have increased far too much for my liking.

I take care of people with issues, but at the same time I try to vet people to make sure they're not just trying to get free stuff. If a nice customer came in with your issue and your experiences and was very nice to me, I personally would have slipped you a free new battery and just told the higher-ups that I did it "because I wanted to" and all would've been fine.

The customer might always be right, but employees have feelings and tempers too, and if you aren't nice to them, they won't help you more than they are paid to, which isn't much. I'm sure you're a nice person and I'm sorry if this has offended you.

to Former AutoZone manager1 #1439790

Nope you're wrong. It happened to my husband and he's nice to everyone up there and they all know him and he goes in there frequently.

Is battery that was still under warranty, died, and conveniently they can't find him in the system. He's had his same phone number for over 10 years, I think he knows what it is. All he got was offered 20% off a new battery. he was pissed, but who wouldn't be.

I just went in there yesterday and tried to add something to his card and what do you know, they couldn't find him. the lady said that's strange because I know he comes in here all the time. She gave me a new card and told me to call the number and try to get them to move everything to the new card.

She never entered anything in the computer, but I got a glimpse of the screen and saw his name and all identifying information. there's some kind of scam going on.

to monica #1490626

Monica, AutoZone is not in the business to scam it's customers. Just ask 99% of customers who don't have an issue with the data they entrust to AZ.

Like any large business, AZ has redundant data centers throughout the US. The information you saw on the screen can only populate if you have an actual card, so if you had the card, what was the big deal?

Your complaints are quite common, but almost always boils down to customer ignorance, ie; not always presenting the rewards card when making a qualifying purchase. You can't blame the employees for not earning points/credits.

Not a duralast fan.

to mnkywrch #1419654

To add my comment regarding the battery issue. This has happened to me on 2 occasions, one time with my daughter, (who had purchased the battery 2 months prior to it failing, (while we were on vacation) with 2 young children in the van.

they said they couldn’t find the number in the system..we had the receipt. We were forced to purchase a replacement battery. They Couldn’t find the information...even with receipt!!

Both batteries were Gold!! The second issue was on my truck, starter clicked, wouldn’t start truck, (battery 6 months old) took to auto zone to have them check the battery, they say it checked good, said i had a starter issue, purchased starter, same issue.

Took it to a another battery place, battery checked bad. Took it to auto zone, to the same guy...he says battery checked good, couldnt do anything. I left, went to another battery store, (not Auto Zone) they said battery bad, Purchased the battery..so auto from Florida to Alabama do not honor warranties.

Even both battery places i went to indicated that. Sad.

Gys92spirit@gmail.com

I guess I'll go to O'Reilly autoparts instead

to Anonymous Naples, Florida, United States #1265359

just got a battery from auto zone, left auto zone then seen the guages dont work,went back. they said need to take it to the dealer, bmw 335i.

they said the computer needs to be programed to the battery. went down street to a automotive repair, it needed a fuse replaced.

to Anonymous #1490628

And how is that AutoZone's problem? You and everyone else needs to understand that AutoZone installs batteries as a free service and the tool kit available to do so consists of about 12 tools.

Anything beyond that battery swap out, requires you, the consumer to shell out some cash for whatever ails your automobile.

Most AutoZoners in their right mind won't dare touch your fuses, as it's beyond the scope of what is expected of them. Let someone else catch your pride and joy on fire.

to Anonymous Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States #1294987

Got and paid for a "new" alternator from them. It was the price of a new one, $216.

Later took old one back in for the $50 deposit back. Noticed on receipt that new alternator says refurbished, so of course wanted to return for an actual new one. They would not take it back and insisted that the new vs. the refurb.

was the same, well not to me it wasn't!

Also they charged me the new price. I don't care for AZ, but will not use this store again.

to Anonymous #1385964

A refurbished alternator means that the housing (iron casing) is restored and the insides are all new. Cast iron will last forever if you don't beat it with a jack hammer.

The cost of an alternator depends on the car.

I'm a cheapo and I only get the cheapest stuff because that's what I can afford and AutoZone is the cheapest you'll find for that stuff aside from a junk yard. Either way, it has a lifetime warranty, which means free replacements for life in case you accidentally hit it with a jackhammer.

to Former AutoZone manager1 #1386192

If it was "refurbished" then , using your reasoning , it was ALREADY hit with a hammer. I would be a pissed customer also.. you thieving crooks at AZ really are comical ...

to Anonymous #1490629

Hard to believe your story... too easy to refund the difference between the two...

Fayetteville, Georgia, United States #1248666

Autozone batteries are sub standard garbage. Never buy from them.