Manhattan, New York

Update by user Apr 01, 2011

btw, the \"Labor Intensive\" battery changing task she didn\'t want her people to do, took them about 10 mins to finish!

Original review posted by user Apr 01, 2011

I went to Autozone yesterday after I had a $50 Jump from a towtruck company, so I can get a new battery. The guy helping me looked up my car on their computer then we went to my car so he can check it out.

He asked that I turn off my car so he can test the battery & I specifically told him that I'm reluctant to turn it off because I would need another jump. He said no problem, we can definitely do that, so I turned it off and he tested it. He left to pick up the battery from another store and another employee helped me out, tried to jump my car but ofcourse that didn't work. So we went inside and I can hear the manager, telling him that they shouldn't be helping me, as it was labor intensive & against policy.

They would sell me the battery but I would have to replace it myself! It didn't matter to her that I'm barely 5ft tall/100 lbs with absolutely no knowledge of cars late night & over an hour away from my house. It didn't matter that her employees never mentioned even after looking at their computer that they can't help me or its against their policy to change batteries as it is "labor intensive" and it didn't matter that her employees were the ones that told me to turn my car off in the first place. Her 2 employees eventually ignored her and helped me out after waiting on them for about 3 hours.

I left a voicemail for their district manager & their regional manager as their phone numbers were posted on their doors. Apparently Autozone wants 100% satisfaction on their customer service.. My husband called the store & argued with this manager over the phone and she eventually came outside to check on us & tried to be helpful. I have told my family, friends & co-workers about this store and hopefully they would not patronize this store.

If Autozone is saying they want customer satisfaction, I hope they teach their employees, especially their managers how to deal with their customers!!!!

Product or Service Mentioned: Autozone Manager.

Comments

Im a PSM for Autozone. We are not REQUIRED to install batteries.

We do it as a curtesy. Yes the vehicle has to be turned off to test the battery. If you didnt want to shut the car off you should have driven your car home, had your husband pull it, and then have it tested. Any time I sell a battery, its not untill the second Im checking the person out that they ask me "You can put that in for me right?" I bet thats what you did, and it was probally an hour from closing time when everyone is rushing to clean the store and finish things up.

Theres a good deal of stuff to do at the end of the day for zoners and managers. You have no idea how many people *** and complain all the time about everything. Theres usually only 2 people working in the evening here, between installing batteries, and helping people find out what they need....and then the inevitable person that comes in "hey i have a warranty on this part but i cant remember what number i used, lets try every number ive ever had" there is alot to get done without having to deal with that. Im sick of the way customers treat Autozone employees, people are constantly harassing us to install parts and give us attitude.

We are not a mechanic shop, we are a DO IT YOURSELF parts place. Seriously if you want people to install stuff for you, go to a mechanic. I cant believe you have the gall to complain about not getting your battery installed immediately. You should be happy you didnt have to pay a mechanic to install it.

Put yourself in our shoes. Go stand in Autozone for about an hour durring a rush, with only 2 employees on the floor.

Watch how frustrated people get, and pay attention to how the employees are treated. And then put yourself in their position.

Most of the batteries that have the "labor intensive" notation are in no way "labor intensive". I am a PSM at Autozone and I do every battery on case by case basis.

I also have 20 years as an Auto Technician. The only installs that I will not do are on certain GM and Chrysler products that require removal of the wheel and the inner fender to access the battery. We do not perform any work at AZ that requires jacking up a vehicle. We are not a repair shop, we do not have OSHA clearance to raise a vehicle.

When I was a Tech I made over $16/hr, at AZ I make less than $10, so no, I will not dismantle your car to install your battery. It sounds like in the case described here, Clarice got a store manager that didn't have a clue, but also she didn't understand that AZ is not a repair shop.

All parties involved had fault. Let me just say that if it had been at my store it would have went down quite a bit differently.

So they should break corporate policy for you??? Why don't you go to a repair shop you cheap ***? Maybe you should trade your $500 car in a new one dummy :cry :cry :cry

I HATE AUTOZONE, BUT I DISAGREE WITH CLARICE DW. DON'T GO TO SOMEBODIES JOB AND TELL THEM HOW TO DO THEIR JOB, BECAUSE THEY DON'T GO TO YOUR JOB AND TELL YOU HOW TO SUCK ***.

SERIOUSLY, THE POLICY IS NO LABOR INTENSIVE INSTALLS. I REMEMBER THAT VERY WELL.

IF YOU WANT AN INSTALL GOT TO NTB OR WALMART ON YOUR TYPE OF CAR. ALSO TIP YOU AZ COUNTER PEOPLE, SINCE AZ PAYS SO LITTLE.

"you've got a lot of nerve almost insisting that someone install YOUR battery for you. Why should they?"

umm could be the fact that they advertise that they do it. Take a close look at all the signs in the window next time you go to an AZ.

If you read what I wrote, I expected they would install the battery because 2 of their employees they would... Before I even agreed to turn off my car, they assured me they can do it..

Isn't that good reason enough to expect that? Of they said they couldn't do it, obviously I would've left there while my car was still running and went somewhere else.

Unfortunately the battery cannot be tested while the car is running. There is no other choice, if you want the battery tested.

Places that normally install the batteries they sell, also have a repair bay, with certified mechanics, and an ADDITIONAL INSTALLATION CHARGE for the service. Parts stores like Autozone do not have any of these things, and therefore should not be EXPECTED to change your battery for you. We don't generally inform customers about extra services that we are unable to provide, if we don't normally provide them to begin with. Does that make sense?

But when a customer ASKS US if that is a service we can provide, then we will certainly address that issue at that time, and mention that our computer warns us that it is supposed to be labor-intensive. Misunderstandings often occur when customers start by ASSUMING that such installation services are normally included for free, without even asking. However, if someone in a similar situation really needs the help, an exception to do so will be made if at all possible. But if the computer warns that it's a labor-intensive 30-min install, we would naturally expect that info to be true & correct, and that the warning is there for a reason, as we must avoid leaving the inside of the store too short-staffed to take care of all the other customers who are going to be stuck waiting in line or on hold for too long as a result, as there are often only 2 employees on staff.

While going above & beyond the normal call of duty for one customer, 10 others could be permanently lost. & If there is a 3rd employee working, it probably means that one of them is due to get a meal break, or scheduled to get off-duty for the evening, and skipping those breaks is illegal, and working late is generally not permitted either. I've always assumed that if I wanted to have a battery or any other parts installed for me, I should go to a full-service place, like Sears, but if I want to install it myself, then I can go to a store like Autozone and save the labor charges by doing it myself. I would've never expected them to so much as put on a wiper for me.

But of course they actually do that and more for people quite often... it's called going the extra mile.

AutoZone Reviews