Ask a question

We will try to contact this business to get an answer for you.

Post answer

What is Autozone's official policy with regard to selling spray paints ?

Is Autozone required to post policies and procedures in stores or on website?What is the procedure for sales of paint and other products that have chemicals that can be inhaled?

For the first time in years I have decided to repair my cars body and went to purchase primer and color coat at my local Auto Zone. When I went to pay at the register the assistant insisted he needed to see my ID and enter my name,my drivers license number, and my age to complete the sale. He was about the same age as I was. I'm well over 40 and place all purchases on a credit card so there's no doubt I'm not under age.

I told him my identity has been compromised in the past and that I won't provide it. He says its the law. I asked for a copy of the law and the corporate policy since its not posted anywhere in the store, but he doesn't have it. He tells me Tennessee has a law with regards to inhalants ( about preventing huffing) and to buy products with certain chemical components you must provide ID and it must be entered into their database.I left without the primer or paint.

I went to another Auto Zone store and they sold me the primer and paint without providing ID or entering any data. A few days later I went to a competitors store to buy another can of primer and paint. They did not require my ID or enter any data. My project was bigger than anticipated and I was in a time crunch; so I took a chance and went back to my local Auto Zone store and there was a different sales person at the counter and he too simply rang up the sale of clear coat.

The next day I returned to local Auto Zone and the original sales assistant who required my ID and etc was there. I put the can of clear coat on the counter and he insisted that I provide my ID. I showed him my licence from a distance not intending to give it to him to take my ID info. He grabbed it and began to enter data and I took it back.

He said I didn't get your DOB. I told him I will not compete the transaction since others have not required the ID info he was insisting on. Now I am also a safety professional who knows the SDS better that he does on the various chemicals involved and what is required to protect myself and others and safely use the paints. Either everyone is wrong but him or he is wrong and he's likes to harass a customer.

The only way to know is to get the company policy and the state law he refers to.

I've checked state websites and have not found a direct link to the law.Any help you can provide to share the Auto Zone official procedure or applicable laws they must follow is appreciated.

Show

can i use STP automatic transmission fluid multi-purpose in my 59 chevy instead of Type A AQ-ATF A?

Show