Today(24th March 2015) I went to return the dirty power steering fluid i pumped out of my car and its less than 5 quat and return it to Autozone in Farmington Avenue, bristol, CT. The store manager(Kevin) at the store mentioned that the oil is contaminated and milky(what?) he does not believe that it was power steering fluid and that I pumped out the dirty power steering fluid with the Castrol ATF bought from their own autozone store in Southington, CT.

This store(talked to Dijon) also mentioned that their waste oil barrel is full and wanted me to come on Thursday(26th March 2015) not sure how true this is.

They want our business but they don't want to help the customers? I am not sure they were advised by the Autozone to be like that only to the people who return oil and stuff, what an innovative ways to decline it.

Reviewer is in unhappy mood. prakask stated that there is a room for improvement of service. Please immediately contact the author of this review to discuss poor customer service of return policy. Autozone needs to offer any options to resolve the issue according to poster's claims.

Other people also mentioned return policy in their reviews. You may find this information helpful for further shopping at Autozone.

Comments

I have been an autozone for 10 years the used oil bin is not just for oil it has a yellow sticker on it that says what fluids can be put into it. Power steering fluid is one of them as is transmission fluid.

That being said, we call safety Kleen to empty our bin and it could be 2 weeks before they come in to get it. At my store we still accept the fluids that people bring in because we have places that we can store it until the bin can be emptied. However in most stores this is not the case.so the idea that the tank was full is totally believable. I've called when our tank was 3/4 full before and by the time it got emptied we had enough fluids to fill it back up to almost 1/4 and this is a 500 gallon tank.

What people need to realize is that there are limits to what the people in the store can do. Even when they do their jobs properly sometimes the channels in which they have to rely on are not good enough. As far as this guy's returned fluid if its contaminated we can not accept it. Autozone pays safety kleen $300 every time the empty our tank they test the contents of the tank when they come to empty it if what's in it is contaminated with something not listed on the aforementioned yellow sticker that cost goes up.

We accept you fluids free of charge and then we pay a bill to get rid of it. Be happy the service is offered at all because we have almost 6k stores figure each of them needs their tanks emptied every two to three weeks it doesn't take a genius to see how much money autozone spends to get rid of fluids each year but for those who can't do math for every store to have their tank emptied one time is over 1 million dollars. Stop taking what you get for free for granted and pay the poor soul making very little above minimum wage behind the counter some well earned respect because not only do they have to deal with pizzed off people every day cuz let's face it how often does anyone go to autozone because they want to but they also have upper management riding their as$es about checkout challenge and witt packets and getting an air filter out with oil changes and getting people signed up for rewards cards and if we don't get enough of this stuff out in my store my dm writes us up for unsatisfactory job performance. You can't make people buy the stuff but we still get in trouble.

So just for a minute put yourselves in our shoes for once and stop being so whiny when things don't go your way because being behind the counter we catch s#it from both sides. And when we ask if you want to buy the stupid little packet of the fuel system cleaner or air filter with your oil change or the rewards card or the hardware for your brakes...

and the list goes on. Don't be offended don't feel like we are being pushy because we aren't we are trying to avoid getting in trouble because they track all of it and if we don't get enough out we get in trouble.

The waste bin is for motor oil only, as us as employees have been told. Also, you yourself have not even mentioned how long that fluid was in the car.

It could be one day, to ten years. In which case, why would they return a product that who knows how long it has been in the vehicle? Nor if a dirty pump is why it appears that way? It is unclear from your post due to poor grammar if you are attempting to return a product as a refund, or dispose of the old fluid in a recycling attempt.

If this was for a refund, did you present a receipt? Was the receipt less than a year old? If this was for recycling, then the fact it appeared milky, and their disposal unit was full are both valid reasons they turned you down. AutoZone offers recycling as a free service.

That does not mean they are obligated for every single person, nor does it mean there will never been times when those services are unavailable. Have a wonderful night.

I work at an autozone. The oil bins in the stores are for oil ONLY, we are trained to inspect all fluid to make sure its only oil because its sent to a recycler and cannot be contaminated with power steering fluid or any other chemicals just like the containers at the dump.

Not sure why they say they accept for free and they always do that i never go to buy anything from them. I go to different store, and buy things from them