AutoZone *** employee tells all

You are the author of this review

Mark as resolved

ADD MEDIA

I have worked for AutoZone for roughly 6 years. I am an Assistant Store Manager and let me tell you AutoZone is another giant *** fest that only stays a float because of the employees that want to keep their jobs for a OK income.

After 5 years I have only made a total of $1.43 cents in raizes. They tell you the maximum raize per year is $0.25. Really a whole quater? Wow... and the company is a Fortue 500 Company right? I wonder who gets all of that money.

Now I enjoy helping customers, comming to work, and making sure the store looks good. What I do not like is that I am FORCED to sell ADDON items known as WITT-JR (What It Takes to do the Job Right). These items are Brake Grease, Bulb Grease, Radiator Hose Grease, Anti-Seize, Spark Plug Boot Grease, and Gasket Sealer in small packets that sell around $1.29 EACH in this area. This is a TOTAL ABSOLUTE RIP OFF! And we are given daily goals to hit... when we do not hit these goals we can be written up. Now in my store the store manager is going to start giving out more hours to the people that sell more WITT-JR and taking away hours to the people who do not.

Tell me this... would you rather have me remind you to properly gap your spark plugs or sell you anti-seize? Because they want us to focus on the anti-seize and not on our customers interest.

Now so you can see we are already trying to sell you add-on items... not that big of deal. Until I have to try and sell you our CHECK OUT CHALLANGE. So in July I get to tell you how much better STP is and in August I get to tell you how much better Lucas is. So what am I supposed to focus on, WITT-JR?, Checkout Challange?, or the customer? Oh thats right... whatever makes the company more money right?

Now that im trying to sell you two items I now have to get you to sign up for our Customer Loyality Program. Which takes down all of your personal information and adds it to our giant database. Not that big of a deal we do not send our junk mail.... yet! So now I am trying to sell you $1.29 addon items, ~$5.00 checkout challanges, get you to sign up for a plastic card, and im supposed to be there to help the customer? Yeah right.

Now we also have to try and sell you Air Filters EVERYTIME a customer buys an oil change. So there is something else I have to try and push.

Everyday we have to call our DM (District Manger) at 11:30, 2:30, and 5:30 to tell him how many addon items we have sold in each catagory. When he listens to his voicemails and hears we do not have enough we get called on the phone and bitched out. Because were not "asking properly"... you know what *** YOU you over paid *** in a paid company vehicle. The only reason you got your job is because you just kissed *** and that is all you still do.

Now let me tell you all about our parts. Our Valuecraft line (no matter the part) is absolutly JUNK. It is not worth the box they put the part in. ANY part you have to add fluid too (master cylinder, wheel cylinder, clutch, power steering pump, steering rack and pinion) are all garbage. You will end up putting these "remanufactured" parts on your car and you have a 50-50 chance it will leak out of the box. Do not waste your money and buy your parts from someone else. However I can tell you Advanced Auto and Orileys (spelling?) is in the same boat we are here. Even though you might have to spend a little more money buy your parts from Napa or CarQuest... much better quality.

Lastly, the training you get at the company is disgraseful. They have some computer "training classes" for you to do but it is 100% up to the store to train you. They will say that is it hands on training but it is impossable to do because the company never gives you enough hours to run the stores properly. Example, 226 hours is given for an averge week in the winter( 1x 50hr , 4x 40hr , + many part-time people)... one can easily see... this gives me 16 TOTAL hours to give to ~4 people. I understand their part-time but give me a break. If you (AutoZone) wants employee retention then suck it up and take care of your employees and maybe you would have a 1 employee loss a month out of the 7 stores around me.

One additional note to all of the completly slow customers who make helping other customers a chore. Come in known what the *** car is you need something for. I do not drive your vehicle nor do I want to go figure it out for you. If you need help identifing a part, fine, but give me a break. And if you cannot even say one word in English go home and figure that *** out. I speak some Spanish... good enough to figure out the part your looking for... but I am not going to even try to help you if you cannot meet me in the middle. Same goes our to all you other non-English speaking people. I can only ask you the same qustion 2 or 3 times before I get pissed. I wouldn't go to Germany or Bosnia and expect them to understand English... I would try to learn some of the language before I went there. But maybe thats why your here. You were too *** to make it over there so you figured here would be different. Your still a dumb *** here and now you at least look like it.

I am just a tired of all the BS. I want to be treated like an asset and not walked on because I am ASE Certified and good worker. I know what the customers want and that is why I have so many customers come to AutoZone specifically for my help! You want me to push this *** down their throat when to me that screams "I don't care what you want just spend some money!). That is not customer service and the only people it makes happy is the customers that don't have a clue their being *** on. The intelligent ones only shop at AutoZone when they have to and they will usually tell you when your there.

And AutoZone is the oposite of a "Green" company... we throw away TONS of paper every day just because their 4000+ stores are about 8 years behind.

More Review Details

Helpful? 345 Yes 345 401 No 401
Had the same issue 142 Yes 142
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jan 21 #1098819

I have a question, can a store manger at last minute without even asking or talking to you about it take you from full time to part time?

Jan 08 #1091203

I believe it and never get anything from autozone. Employee relations are ***. This past week, the company incorrectly paid wages to a fake account,then told the employee hed have to wait another 2 weeks before he recieved any pay at all.thats a whole month for a family of 4 to do without because they refused to re-issue his check to him. Too bad a group of disgruntled employees dont get togather and sue their company *** and win enough money to start their own businesses whatever it maybe.

2 0 Reply

Dec 23, 2015 #1083147

I was a Redshirt from August-December of this year, I cannot tell you how f'ed up this system is called Autozone, I was hired due to my background in race cars and diesel engines so I knew my way around plenty of different types of engines. Being in college I was just looking for something to fill the void but not carry me at 40 hours a week, 25 (which is such horsesh*t) is the most they gave me, "If you're over that then you're working full time hours" bunch of malarkey. I never really paid attention to COC or wittdjr because I thought that was bull, so did my 25+ year Autozone veteran manager. No one pays attention to signs, misread price cuts thinking buy one get one half off is buy one get one free, so being a Marine's son I wouldn't let anyone step on me, my manager being a Marine would understand and start getting in the customers face so I didn't get fired. The way the system was set up in the back for parts I never got it right and had to look, belts, hoses, and thermostats would be behind the counter, then water pumps are bumf*ck clear across the store. I'm bilingual with French and German but oh if you don't speak Spanish you're not making $11+ an hour part time. I know more than the guys that are ASE certified but so help me god I'm gonna be satisfied with $8.30 an hour. Hiring people that know nothing about the mechanics of a vehicle and are just lazy seems to be the game my SM played. If commercial went to lunch she told people not trained for commercial to do... Show more

4 1 Reply

Dec 23, 2015 #1082802

As a One year Red Shirt, aka part time insignificant spec, with several years automotive training and shop experience. I have to say this is spot on! The company doesn't care about the customer, or the employee, just the money.

4 0 Reply

Dec 22, 2015 #1082662

definately not even close to what your saying but ok , sorry and no offense but its not that way if you dont know the reasons why they change check out challenges every period its because you dont even pay attention on what you did no offense at all but theyre still the same every year because each thing does different things for the engines and such, sorry you had a bad experiance at your store but if you worked on mine yould def have a different point of view.
so i apologize about that but that only means your dm wasnt what he was suppossed to be doing and train your employees right or treat them like they deserve wich is respect.

Dec 21, 2015 #1081900

I am what they call Autozoner and I agree with you...at the present time I still coping with this mgr's pickingon me

Dec 19, 2015 #1081110

Store 1004 has drug transactions in the parking lot. Starting at the store manager to the bottom needs to be drug tested as they are working under the influence. 1004 store is at folly rd Charleston,sc. If this is not taken care of I will let the local media know cjziksq

Dec 15, 2015 #1078775

Working at the AZ in New Ro I have realized the store manager is nothing but an uneducated monkey. This guy makes our schedules so that the red shirt guys are never with a certain red shirt girl he's crushing on as a result our hours are cut and her hours are raised. When confronted he says its because of district cuts. However we still have to do all the work so he can relax with her and they don't do anything but mess up parts and flirt all day. Personally I'm sick of this and can't wait to leave. Waiting on a call from Mavis.

3 1 Reply

Dec 13, 2015 #1078226

The sad thing is, now in December of 2015, nothing has changed. Not a *** thing. WITTDTJR. COC. Terrible product. My store has no cameras but not in the best area so people steal constantly and our qty is a mess. Warranties are a mess, especially when someone has multiple numbers. Trying to locate parts under warranty. Trying to combine warranty accts so that everything is together. Reading part numbers IN the warranty. Store managers for my district got moved around. Old manager never did anything. MNDR took ALL DAY for SM, took 15 minutes for PSM's. Schedule took ALL DAY (10hrs+) for SM. For new SM, is 3-4hrs max. But new SM pushes WITT, COC, Rewards, and is an absolute ***. I've been w/ AZ for 9 months. PSM's see how much and how hard I work, compliment my effort. I go out of my way to pick up hours, cover shifts for everyone. But I try to just switch shifts and get a morning open instead of night close, and nobody can do it. I work truck til I'm sweating so much I have to take a shower before I can go to my night class. Evals come up, and SM might as well laugh in my face. 11cent raise. Min wage is going up to $10 in January. Would bet my 11cents that my pay will go back to min wage instead of going to $10.11 or better. You work your *** off and get spit on. I love my redshirt coworkers and a couple grey shirts. But cannot deal with customer attitude. Tell me "I know you have it in stock!" Look at the computer, it says it right there. 0 in stock, 1 Available @ Hub. "But... Show more

5 0 Reply

Dec 04, 2015 #1073828

Maybe you got little raises because you can't even spell the *** word.

3 1 Reply

Nov 21, 2015 #1067649

I have a gripe about Autozone as well, I started working there and started at 8.90 an hour, well six months later i am full time with 14 cents more, so now im at 9.04 hour, there was a recent hire pool and some new part timers got more pay than me, they started at 9.50 hour, heres the kicker, i have a degree in transportation technology and certs for automotive and diesel ans these new employees dont have no education, please tell me its not discrimination.

1 2 Reply

Nov 21, 2015 #1067285

This was written four years ago and I can honestly say ALL of this remains to be true. I've been with the company for two months and have been lied to from the moment I walked into"foundations" ( which was supposed to be training but realm was watching/ waiting for a head to be removed from a sphincter) I will have to stay with this *** company a year to establish employability but will not stay a hour longer

2 0 Reply

Nov 17, 2015 #1065480

Sounds like you need to quit if you aren't happy with your job, and your job IS customer service, Take a look at your name tag...

1 6 Reply

Nov 16, 2015 #1064872

As a former employee, I can say that everything above is true, and so much more.

4 0 Reply

Nov 12, 2015 #1063192

This guy is a tool ^ I agree with about 20% of what he said and the rest is pure excrement that spewed from his mouth onto this

1 6 Reply

Nov 02, 2015 #1057462

Your absolutely right I'm ready to shot my manager for ever talking *** to his employees like were less of human beings then what he is he is an ex cop that was in an accident that should have killed him cause this world would be better off with one less douche especially one that can't do his job correctly...

Oct 18, 2015 #1050253

amen

Sep 22, 2015 #1037231

yes i agree and their "point system" is a joke

3 0 Reply

Sep 10, 2015 #1032335

Do you know how much of a discount archaic gets from autozone

Aug 27, 2015 #1025730

I work for O"Reilly auto parts and it's a mirror of the things you said. Carbon copy. I worked for a Carquest store for 8 years and it was polar opposite. It was ALL about taking care of the customer. But, not at O'reilly's; all about money, period.

1-20 of 307 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Autozone. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Autozone.
Filing a new complaint about
×