AutoZone *** employee tells all

I have worked for AutoZone for roughly 6 years. I am an Assistant Store Manager and let me tell you AutoZone is another giant *** fest that only stays a float because of the employees that want to keep their jobs for a OK income.

After 5 years I have only made a total of $1.43 cents in raizes. They tell you the maximum raize per year is $0.25. Really a whole quater? Wow... and the company is a Fortue 500 Company right? I wonder who gets all of that money.

Now I enjoy helping customers, comming to work, and making sure the store looks good. What I do not like is that I am FORCED to sell ADDON items known as WITT-JR (What It Takes to do the Job Right). These items are Brake Grease, Bulb Grease, Radiator Hose Grease, Anti-Seize, Spark Plug Boot Grease, and Gasket Sealer in small packets that sell around $1.29 EACH in this area. This is a TOTAL ABSOLUTE RIP OFF! And we are given daily goals to hit... when we do not hit these goals we can be written up. Now in my store the store manager is going to start giving out more hours to the people that sell more WITT-JR and taking away hours to the people who do not.

Tell me this... would you rather have me remind you to properly gap your spark plugs or sell you anti-seize? Because they want us to focus on the anti-seize and not on our customers interest.

Now so you can see we are already trying to sell you add-on items... not that big of deal. Until I have to try and sell you our CHECK OUT CHALLANGE. So in July I get to tell you how much better STP is and in August I get to tell you how much better Lucas is. So what am I supposed to focus on, WITT-JR?, Checkout Challange?, or the customer? Oh thats right... whatever makes the company more money right?

Now that im trying to sell you two items I now have to get you to sign up for our Customer Loyality Program. Which takes down all of your personal information and adds it to our giant database. Not that big of a deal we do not send our junk mail.... yet! So now I am trying to sell you $1.29 addon items, ~$5.00 checkout challanges, get you to sign up for a plastic card, and im supposed to be there to help the customer? Yeah right.

Now we also have to try and sell you Air Filters EVERYTIME a customer buys an oil change. So there is something else I have to try and push.

Everyday we have to call our DM (District Manger) at 11:30, 2:30, and 5:30 to tell him how many addon items we have sold in each catagory. When he listens to his voicemails and hears we do not have enough we get called on the phone and bitched out. Because were not "asking properly"... you know what *** YOU you over paid *** in a paid company vehicle. The only reason you got your job is because you just kissed *** and that is all you still do.

Now let me tell you all about our parts. Our Valuecraft line (no matter the part) is absolutly JUNK. It is not worth the box they put the part in. ANY part you have to add fluid too (master cylinder, wheel cylinder, clutch, power steering pump, steering rack and pinion) are all garbage. You will end up putting these "remanufactured" parts on your car and you have a 50-50 chance it will leak out of the box. Do not waste your money and buy your parts from someone else. However I can tell you Advanced Auto and Orileys (spelling?) is in the same boat we are here. Even though you might have to spend a little more money buy your parts from Napa or CarQuest... much better quality.

Lastly, the training you get at the company is disgraseful. They have some computer "training classes" for you to do but it is 100% up to the store to train you. They will say that is it hands on training but it is impossable to do because the company never gives you enough hours to run the stores properly. Example, 226 hours is given for an averge week in the winter( 1x 50hr , 4x 40hr , + many part-time people)... one can easily see... this gives me 16 TOTAL hours to give to ~4 people. I understand their part-time but give me a break. If you (AutoZone) wants employee retention then suck it up and take care of your employees and maybe you would have a 1 employee loss a month out of the 7 stores around me.

One additional note to all of the completly slow customers who make helping other customers a chore. Come in known what the *** car is you need something for. I do not drive your vehicle nor do I want to go figure it out for you. If you need help identifing a part, fine, but give me a break. And if you cannot even say one word in English go home and figure that *** out. I speak some Spanish... good enough to figure out the part your looking for... but I am not going to even try to help you if you cannot meet me in the middle. Same goes our to all you other non-English speaking people. I can only ask you the same qustion 2 or 3 times before I get pissed. I wouldn't go to Germany or Bosnia and expect them to understand English... I would try to learn some of the language before I went there. But maybe thats why your here. You were too *** to make it over there so you figured here would be different. Your still a dumb *** here and now you at least look like it.

I am just a tired of all the BS. I want to be treated like an asset and not walked on because I am ASE Certified and good worker. I know what the customers want and that is why I have so many customers come to AutoZone specifically for my help! You want me to push this *** down their throat when to me that screams "I don't care what you want just spend some money!). That is not customer service and the only people it makes happy is the customers that don't have a clue their being *** on. The intelligent ones only shop at AutoZone when they have to and they will usually tell you when your there.

And AutoZone is the oposite of a "Green" company... we throw away TONS of paper every day just because their 4000+ stores are about 8 years behind.

128ce105 review #219539
397 302 Helpful?
Had the same issue115 Comments267
Had an experience with AutoZone?  Submit review about this company
Is it your business?
Respond to your customers as verified company representative.
Apply for free plan
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login
LifeIsGood

Apr 18 #973407

If you dislike working for AZ why don't you quit? The only ignorant person in that equation is YOU. Every company you will work for ..they will have their procedures and riles go follow... if you try to be a little positive and complain less... maybe you staff will be more in a happy page. The store manager is chooses how they want to manage the store. ...but always within the company guideline. A great manager don't complain... a great manager find advanced solutions. Good luck!

Mar 20 #961326

I'm a reach lift operator at a DC. I'm paid well, have excellent benefits, and enjoy my job. My only gripe is all the mandatory overtime I've been required to put in over the last couple of months. OH NO!!! I'm going to have an extra $500 on my check this time around. Whatever shall I do?

Mar 10 #956440

And to those who say that you've been there for so long and got all the raises and promotions....who have you been telling on? Who have yall been getting fired? So far from what I've seen, with this company, you only get promoted if you get people fired, treat customers like *** or just a horrible person all around.

1 0 Reply

Mar 10 #956439

Same boat with you. I no longer for them. Not only was I lied to. But I wad write up and then fired once I reported them to the EEOC.
So the sales thing. Yeah. I took a tally each day. One day I asked all 50 of my customers that I rang up. Know how many wanted the check out challenge or the little grease packets? 2. That's 2 out of 50. But yet I was always told that I wasn't asking anyone. And written up when I didn't meet the sales goals. This is another company that cares not about their customers or employees. Just about how much money they can make.
It's the employees in the store that care. I don't see corporate people coming down to stores and helping customers. I don't see them coming down and putting trucks up with a *** load of customers blowing up the phone and walking thru the door. Majority if them up top got the job up top and didn't have to work their way up because they knew someone or a relative of someone.
This is just another company with a CEO that cares nothing for their employees and only for the money going to their pockets.

2 0 Reply
that burnt out manager

Jan 25 #936239 Auburndale, Florida

Yep, I work as a store manager for Az and always get threatened if my store isn't selling those *** packets of grease or air filters.. People want what they want.. That's it!! We need to focus on parts not grease.. O yea that's where the profits are.. All about the Witt forget parts.. Not to mention to get caught up on tasks since they don't give you enough hours they want you to work on your day off.. Umm no thanks.. At that rate I'm at 10 bucks an hour and my psms make more than 10 hahah.. Yea deff true what he said!

5 0 Reply
RayRay99

Mar 10 #956304 Marion, Ohio

So there with you. I'm a well was a red shirt. Oh I mean* *** on shirt. I have never in 31 years of working walked off A job. I've been there 1 week. Yea 1 week. No training st all. Watched video for 3 hours talked the rest of the 8 . Had me drive there truck. Then found out I was to take a test first. Then got written up. Now I dnt no till then the manager is to show my how to get on the system and take it. How is that my fault. Then I have been driving for 4days and now tonight the put me on diy with just one person. Now mind u I have not been Givin training on where parts are or how the alph num. Work in there. Nor any terminal/ register Training. Then get yelled at cause people are waiting. The only thing I could do is help diagnose problems since I'm a mechanic. I'm done * *** you Marion Ohio store.

3 0 Reply
iamso1

Jan 25 #936237

I can feel the love, respect and comradery in all of you!

1 1 Reply

Jan 25 #936228

I work at Autozone and have learned that what he says is true. When I was hired I was told that raises semi annually and have yet to see one. But they hire in a "part timer" that gets more hours than me and with pay a dollar more an hour and he has no experience with cars, I am a "full time" PSM(parts sales manager) and I am ASE certified master tech.

4 0 Reply
manager

Jan 18 #932889 Roy, Utah

You are absolutely correct, I retired a manager and saw and did everything you said. Autozone is probably one the crappiest company's out there. And know that the position that you are kept in no matter part time to manager, they could terminate you anytime they want becuse of the unfair responsibility that is placed on their employees.

4 0 Reply

Dec 17, 2014 #917449 Forney, Texas

I work at the DC if you put the card board, paper, and plastic in the basket and send it back to the DC they recycle it. and if you don't like the company then maybe you should find a new job.

3 8 Reply
happy autozoner

Dec 06, 2014 #912299 Millsboro, Delaware

This is a total crock of ***. I've worked for autozone for 5 years and I have been promoted 3 times since I started there each time and every year I get over .60 cent raises and when I step up I get 3 to 4 dollar raises. And if you knew any thing about cars or car parts you would be happy to see them the right stuff to fix there car along with explaining that we don't actually make the parts we sell. When they get a bad one so if you didn't like your job or believe in what you do you should of quit instead of *** like a little girl about it. Grow up

6 6 Reply

Jan 14 #931288

You're full of ***. I worked there too and they *** all over their employees. You probably work for corporate pr. The company pays slave wages while ot pulls in billions and the president of the company takes pictures in his 5000 dollar shoes for the company magazine

6 1 Reply

Apr 19 #973839 Tyler, Texas

3-4 dollar raises? in what universe? Also..you've been promoted three times. So in 5 years, you went from Red Shirt, to PSM, to Assistant Manager. This seems highly unlikely.

1 0 Reply
marcpilot1

Nov 28, 2014 #907233 Lexington, South Carolina

I like my AutoZone guy. His name is Mark and works at the Lex store on #6 and Platt Springs. So does his asst named Joe? I think? Oh well, Those 2 guys are fine. I can tell the mgr is overworked somewhat though. But he's there. He is always nice about it when I feel like I messed up. He says he works too many days but he doesn't complain about it. And he could because we talk while I'm there and no one else can hear him. So, autozone does try to push those 1.29 products on me but they don't care when I say nah, I already have some of that. They seem like they're happy enough but that they need a little more than the co is giving them. And that part time ***, I dont want a part timer helping me in there!!! Just get rid of those jokes of a parts specialist! Hire full timers only! *** Autozone. And take care of this guy who's obviously working hard and feels like he's only getting crapped on. Give another quarter or something.

0 0 Reply

Nov 26, 2014 #906517

I've worked my *** off at autozone for only two year and have had over $3.00 in raises. Sounds like your a *** employee to me who kissed *** to just make it to asm

1 4 Reply
azf

Nov 20, 2014 #903805 San Jose, California

The good thing is that the trx for sale is easy to take on and off.So my suggestion to all of those who are considering cheap trx as a gift for your loved ones for any special occasion would be to definitely check out their amazing.

0 2 Reply

Nov 14, 2014 #900518

Maybe if you could read and spell you might get a "raize" it's raise you ***....

4 4 Reply
Sandra Haskins

Nov 12, 2014 #899011 Richmond, Virginia

Thanks for this I have the same problem at my store it was like reading my own story I totally understand

Nov 09, 2014 #897736 Lakeside, California

Dude your over dramatic. I'm a red shirt it is NOT bad at all. I have grey shirt responsibilities most of the time. Its really NOT that hard, chill out or go work for McDonalds or something if you cant handle being under cold AC searching up stuff on the computer, and putting parts away all day..dumb bitttch.

0 6 Reply
Silence dogood

Oct 02, 2014 #878818

Learn how to spell. Maybe they would treat you better if you weren't so illiterate.

5 7 Reply

1-20 of 267 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.