AutoZone *** employee tells all

I have worked for AutoZone for roughly 6 years. I am an Assistant Store Manager and let me tell you AutoZone is another giant *** fest that only stays a float because of the employees that want to keep their jobs for a OK income.

After 5 years I have only made a total of $1.43 cents in raizes. They tell you the maximum raize per year is $0.25. Really a whole quater? Wow... and the company is a Fortue 500 Company right? I wonder who gets all of that money.

Now I enjoy helping customers, comming to work, and making sure the store looks good. What I do not like is that I am FORCED to sell ADDON items known as WITT-JR (What It Takes to do the Job Right). These items are Brake Grease, Bulb Grease, Radiator Hose Grease, Anti-Seize, Spark Plug Boot Grease, and Gasket Sealer in small packets that sell around $1.29 EACH in this area. This is a TOTAL ABSOLUTE RIP OFF! And we are given daily goals to hit... when we do not hit these goals we can be written up. Now in my store the store manager is going to start giving out more hours to the people that sell more WITT-JR and taking away hours to the people who do not.

Tell me this... would you rather have me remind you to properly gap your spark plugs or sell you anti-seize? Because they want us to focus on the anti-seize and not on our customers interest.

Now so you can see we are already trying to sell you add-on items... not that big of deal. Until I have to try and sell you our CHECK OUT CHALLANGE. So in July I get to tell you how much better STP is and in August I get to tell you how much better Lucas is. So what am I supposed to focus on, WITT-JR?, Checkout Challange?, or the customer? Oh thats right... whatever makes the company more money right?

Now that im trying to sell you two items I now have to get you to sign up for our Customer Loyality Program. Which takes down all of your personal information and adds it to our giant database. Not that big of a deal we do not send our junk mail.... yet! So now I am trying to sell you $1.29 addon items, ~$5.00 checkout challanges, get you to sign up for a plastic card, and im supposed to be there to help the customer? Yeah right.

Now we also have to try and sell you Air Filters EVERYTIME a customer buys an oil change. So there is something else I have to try and push.

Everyday we have to call our DM (District Manger) at 11:30, 2:30, and 5:30 to tell him how many addon items we have sold in each catagory. When he listens to his voicemails and hears we do not have enough we get called on the phone and bitched out. Because were not "asking properly"... you know what *** YOU you over paid *** in a paid company vehicle. The only reason you got your job is because you just kissed *** and that is all you still do.

Now let me tell you all about our parts. Our Valuecraft line (no matter the part) is absolutly JUNK. It is not worth the box they put the part in. ANY part you have to add fluid too (master cylinder, wheel cylinder, clutch, power steering pump, steering rack and pinion) are all garbage. You will end up putting these "remanufactured" parts on your car and you have a 50-50 chance it will leak out of the box. Do not waste your money and buy your parts from someone else. However I can tell you Advanced Auto and Orileys (spelling?) is in the same boat we are here. Even though you might have to spend a little more money buy your parts from Napa or CarQuest... much better quality.

Lastly, the training you get at the company is disgraseful. They have some computer "training classes" for you to do but it is 100% up to the store to train you. They will say that is it hands on training but it is impossable to do because the company never gives you enough hours to run the stores properly. Example, 226 hours is given for an averge week in the winter( 1x 50hr , 4x 40hr , + many part-time people)... one can easily see... this gives me 16 TOTAL hours to give to ~4 people. I understand their part-time but give me a break. If you (AutoZone) wants employee retention then suck it up and take care of your employees and maybe you would have a 1 employee loss a month out of the 7 stores around me.

One additional note to all of the completly slow customers who make helping other customers a chore. Come in known what the *** car is you need something for. I do not drive your vehicle nor do I want to go figure it out for you. If you need help identifing a part, fine, but give me a break. And if you cannot even say one word in English go home and figure that *** out. I speak some Spanish... good enough to figure out the part your looking for... but I am not going to even try to help you if you cannot meet me in the middle. Same goes our to all you other non-English speaking people. I can only ask you the same qustion 2 or 3 times before I get pissed. I wouldn't go to Germany or Bosnia and expect them to understand English... I would try to learn some of the language before I went there. But maybe thats why your here. You were too *** to make it over there so you figured here would be different. Your still a dumb *** here and now you at least look like it.

I am just a tired of all the BS. I want to be treated like an asset and not walked on because I am ASE Certified and good worker. I know what the customers want and that is why I have so many customers come to AutoZone specifically for my help! You want me to push this *** down their throat when to me that screams "I don't care what you want just spend some money!). That is not customer service and the only people it makes happy is the customers that don't have a clue their being *** on. The intelligent ones only shop at AutoZone when they have to and they will usually tell you when your there.

And AutoZone is the oposite of a "Green" company... we throw away TONS of paper every day just because their 4000+ stores are about 8 years behind.

Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 348 Yes 348 403 No 403
Had the same issue 144 Yes 144
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Apr 01 #1137692

Amen

Mar 30 #1136286

AMEN! EVERYTHING YOU SAID IS TRUE. I HAVE PARTS KNOWLEDGE AND I'M IN COMMERCIAL AND I GET PAID LESS THEN 8 DOLLARS AN HOUR. That is why people come and go so much.

Mar 28 #1135291

You deserve the pay you get your attitude is *** if you think you should get payed more go to school get a education I have a degree and I can demand my salary and I'll get it in your profession you are replaceable so be happy you have a job

0 4 Reply
pawlak

Apr 08 #1141478 Attica, New York

are you the peon that scrapes the dog *** off my gas pedal?

Torynn1990

Mar 05 #1122503 Dallas, Texas

This post is old, but still I want to have my say. I just started I was hired as a driver. Instead my first day of work I was thrown on the register with no training. I kept having to ask the guys up front (all grey shirts) for help. I understand its busy there and they get frustrated but one of them yelled at me saying "he had his own *** to do". Pissed me off!
Also besides not being shown the computer system had to figure out how to ring *** up on my on. Don't forget ENTER! The system is garbage. BTW.
Also I am a female, I'm not a mechanic but I know the basics on autos but not when someone calls needing a part for their vehicle but yet they don't know what kind of car they have and they say they need a thingy that connects to another thingy. Like I'm supposed to know. Then I get yelled at for asking for help. Seriously, a little training wouldn't hurt.

4 0 Reply

Feb 25 #1118050

Yes they absolutely waste paper with all the paperwork and the double paperwork it's *** I observe this as a customer coming in and out picking up parts for my shop they run their people in the ground pushing this and pushing that down your throat. And when an employee has a bad day and you come in to pick up something and they take it out on you there's no need and calling the district manager and wasting your breath Felix won't do anything because he's rolling around in 60 or 70 thousand or as much as $80,000 a year he don't care ....... and the best part of it all I wasted my breath and talking to him and threatened to take my account somewhere else and basically he said he didn't care if I took my account somewhere else... why spend money at autozone it's time for them to move on I'm not spending money ever again there......

4 0 Reply

Mar 25 #1134122

Not all employees will do that. However i can tell you as i just went through it that it does no good to call anyone above the district because they take up for their brown nosed goody two shoed district manager. However i am not your average joe. Maybe under cover learning how they treat employees for a lawyer, department of consumer affairs, labor department. Each state us different. Reach out to your state and file a complaint. Guys like me like working for 2 ppl at the same time. Call your state commerce and insurance division. Then call the dept. Of labor. There are numbers listed on a billboard near the restroom. Well supposed to be as it is federal but not all obey.

Feb 25 #1118041 Seminole, Florida

Boy you said a mouthful and you're absolutely right and don't ever try to contact the district manager to try and get something done about the way you treated sometimes in the store because it is an absolute waste of time talking to Felix a district manager in the Tampa Bay area. What a freaking joke.

3 0 Reply

Feb 20 #1114930

The only people in this company that work in stores make over poverty level is the store manager and some commercial managers on up. Everyone at corporate level is rolling around in the money that every store employee generates while I help feed myself and other employees from a food bank.
In my opinion, Autozone is modern slavery.
They advertise all the free services that we have to perform on the radio, TV, sign on the window. They pimp there employees out by requiring them to change batteries in the rain, below freezing with NO SHELTER. Autozone requires their employees to change headlights no matter how cold it is or at night when you can't see anything.... ( by law even animals are required to have shelter outside)
I started at 8.50, 4 years ago. I received one good raise when I was promoted to a sales manager, not a store manager, within 3 months of being hired, because I would not take the job for under $1.00 raise and I was promised I would not be sent home when the DM demanded on slow day for the store manger to send people home, but I was. After 4 years of changing batteries in the freezing cold, putting wipers on in the rain, being abused by other employees and customers I am up to $10.93 , the last two years I have received .24 raise and a .28 raise. My evaluations were always met or exceed. I don't think there is another company out there to work for than AUTOZONE that could treat their employees any worse. If I could write all the bad occurrences that
... Show more

2 0 Reply
Josh

Apr 05 #1139948 York, Pennsylvania

You must be a real *** employee then. I started at 8.50/hr (part time red shirt) I've been with the company a little shy of a year and a half and am up to 13/hr(full time comm specialist) People are lazy and just wanna make a lot of money and not have to work for it. Grow up.

Apr 21 #1148154

buddy, You must not have any real idea of how this company operates then. Higher profit stores are the only places that 13/hr is seen. Here in GA, as a PSM: $10.00 hourly with pennies for raises for compensation. Dont even dare to say that someone is a bad employee when you dont even have a clue as to how the company he works for operates. People are lazy? Awful lazy of you to ASSUME the absolute worst of this fellow when you dont even know them in any form or fashion. So my man, put a few years under your belt before you start mouthing off about things you have little experience or knowledge of. Cheers.

warrenoreily

Jan 31 #1104039

Watch this video, and see how they treat employees...Disgusting.

Jan 21 #1098819

I have a question, can a store manger at last minute without even asking or talking to you about it take you from full time to part time?

Feb 27 #1118959

No they cant, unless you're not showing up and is not working more than 30 hrs

Jan 08 #1091203

I believe it and never get anything from autozone. Employee relations are ***. This past week, the company incorrectly paid wages to a fake account,then told the employee hed have to wait another 2 weeks before he recieved any pay at all.thats a whole month for a family of 4 to do without because they refused to re-issue his check to him. Too bad a group of disgruntled employees dont get togather and sue their company *** and win enough money to start their own businesses whatever it maybe.

3 0 Reply

Dec 23, 2015 #1083147

I was a Redshirt from August-December of this year, I cannot tell you how f'ed up this system is called Autozone, I was hired due to my background in race cars and diesel engines so I knew my way around plenty of different types of engines. Being in college I was just looking for something to fill the void but not carry me at 40 hours a week, 25 (which is such horsesh*t) is the most they gave me, "If you're over that then you're working full time hours" bunch of malarkey. I never really paid attention to COC or wittdjr because I thought that was bull, so did my 25+ year Autozone veteran manager. No one pays attention to signs, misread price cuts thinking buy one get one half off is buy one get one free, so being a Marine's son I wouldn't let anyone step on me, my manager being a Marine would understand and start getting in the customers face so I didn't get fired. The way the system was set up in the back for parts I never got it right and had to look, belts, hoses, and thermostats would be behind the counter, then water pumps are bumf*ck clear across the store. I'm bilingual with French and German but oh if you don't speak Spanish you're not making $11+ an hour part time. I know more than the guys that are ASE certified but so help me god I'm gonna be satisfied with $8.30 an hour. Hiring people that know nothing about the mechanics of a vehicle and are just lazy seems to be the game my SM played. If commercial went to lunch she told people not trained for commercial to do... Show more

6 1 Reply

Dec 23, 2015 #1082802

As a One year Red Shirt, aka part time insignificant spec, with several years automotive training and shop experience. I have to say this is spot on! The company doesn't care about the customer, or the employee, just the money.

6 0 Reply

Dec 22, 2015 #1082662

definately not even close to what your saying but ok , sorry and no offense but its not that way if you dont know the reasons why they change check out challenges every period its because you dont even pay attention on what you did no offense at all but theyre still the same every year because each thing does different things for the engines and such, sorry you had a bad experiance at your store but if you worked on mine yould def have a different point of view.
so i apologize about that but that only means your dm wasnt what he was suppossed to be doing and train your employees right or treat them like they deserve wich is respect.

0 3 Reply
Humanity

Feb 20 #1114925

Do the red shirts and gray shirts make enough to survive? Do you care? The only people in this company that work in stores make over poverty level is the store manager and some commercial managers on up. I have begged for more money, I was the top salesman at every store I went to. How do I know this? because the managers of each stores goes through daily receipts to see who is selling the extra items. In my opinion, Autozone is modern slavery. I started at 8.50, 4 years ago. I received one good raise when I was promoted to a sales manager, not a store manager, within 3 months of being hired, because I would not take the job for under $1.00 raise and I was promised I would not be sent home when the DM demanded on slow day for the store manger to send people home, but I was. After 4 years of changing batteries in the freezing cold, putting wipers on in the rain, being abused by other employees and customers I am up to $10.93 , the last two years I have received .24 raise and a .28 raise. My evaluations were always met or exceed. I don't think there is another company out there to work for than AUTOZONE.

humanity

Feb 20 #1114931

I did not finish my last sentence. So here it is. I don't think there is another company to work for that is WORSE, DISGUSTING, INHUMANE than AUTOZONE. And thank GOD I have found one of the top 100 companies to work for instead of the worse company to work for! If you are surviving Sir or Mam at this company are the people around you able to shelter themselves or feed themselves if not you are one of the people in this world who is either oblivious or just don't care.

1-20 of 322 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Autozone. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Autozone.
Filing a new complaint about
×